Featured Post

The power of the strategic plan

In today’s corporate world, whether you are in business, charity, ministry, sports, politics or even the academia it’s important for you to...

Monday, October 30, 2017

Just how competent are you at your job?


Just how competent are you at your job? Now that's an interesting question. Let's see now, you need skill and knowledge to get that job done. But you may find that among a certain group of professionals "knowing how" to do something is a little different from "knowing about knowing how" to do something. There are lot of people who talk about things they probably never really had the opportunity to practice themselves. Take for instance, some of the professors at your local university. Many of them have studied a lot in their fields, but not all them can really practice the professional aspect of their calling which entails doing the things that they discuss in class.
Competency is described as "an underlying characteristic of a person which results in effective and/or superior performance on a job"-Boyatris 1992.
The competency test is a quick way of assessing yourself to determine if you are making progress or not.
Check out the following questions:
1. Is my knowledge about my profession purely academic. In other words, do I merely talk about how its done and how it should be done without any hands on experience that shows we can do it?
2. If I have a project relating to my core skills and profession and I am asked to do it myself, what are my chances of success?
3.Could I play the role of teacher/coach in order to enhance the skill of another person's skill or ability?
4. If I am asked to play the professional role which includes my core training and skill would I be able to perform optimally?
The ability to perform the activities within an occupational area to the levels of performance expected in employment is the sum total of competence. So ask yourself again: Just how competent are you at your job? Knowledge and skill should enhance work activity.

No comments: